Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 204 - Chair Reflection

Thought of the day: My undergrad college in China just celebrated its 100 year anniversary.  It was a big event that was broadcasted on TV.  Some of my classmates participated and were kind enough to share their photos.  I haven't been back for many years and going through those photos tonight brought back a lot of memories.  Most of the dormitories, buildings and scenery looked oh-so-familiar.  Everybody looked a tad older but I could still recognize them.  Of course, there seemed to have been a lot of changes too.  There were a few ultramodern looking buildings that were not there before.  The cafeteria were posting calories, proteins, and other nutrient information for each dish instead of just a name and a price tag.  Students were studying in the classrooms with laptops instead of notebooks.  Going back there must make one feel a sense of history and a sense of progress, a sense of kinship and a sense of loss, all at the same time.  If I had attended the event, I would probably have been proud that I had spent a good five years there, and would probably also have been glad that I left when I did.  Looking back after all these years, I think I owe a lot to my college.  The relationship to one's college can be a complicated one, but I think there isn't a more apt description than the conventional alma mater - "nourishing mother".

Photo of the day:
Dining chairs.  It was another day of staying at home nursing my illness.  It offered a great opportunity to reflect on the past, and, to study the reflections of a few chairs on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment