Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 155 - Lila

Thought of the day: When I was watching the girls play in a part of the house filled with the late afternoon sun today, it struck me how much the effect of light had on my mood.  The places I love the best invariably have lots of sunny days - Arizona, Colorado, Tibet, Ticino.  I remembered what impressed me the most when I first walked out of the plane in Tibet was the intensity and clarity of the light.  I took an instant liking to that place right there right then.  Bright and cheery light can put me in a good mood.  It works better and more reliably than a shot of espresso. Apparently the light is also a healthier mood booster than caffeine, as it makes you feel better by increasing the serotonin level instead of the adrenaline level in your body.  That's probably why people feel more alive and are generally in a happier mood out in the sun, instead of feeling all revved up and overexcited when they are cooped up and heavily caffeinated in a dark place.  Yes, perhaps it's time for me to trade in those coffee house visits for more outdoor adventures under the bright Coloradan sun.

Photo of the day:
Lila playing with her sister.  Pools of lights dotted the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment